Thursday, October 15, 2015

30 Day Challenge #1: Meditation (Day 2)

I know this is Day 2 and based on my Day 1 - I always set the timer to be 1 minute more than what it's supposed to be. So my meditation took three minutes today.

But something different today - meditating while standing up. I was definitely not comfortable at first but then I started noticing things about myself.

Posture. Symmetry. Weight bearing preference. Space.

I vaguely recognized how my entire back and shoulders are sort of dropping into a slouched position even while standing up - I can imagine it being worse when sitting down. This is something I'm not aware of and possibly a learned habit of mine already. Thinking back on meetings, patient care and conversations with team members - I was in this posture and who-knows-what kind of image I was projecting all this time. A projection of weakness, lack of self-confidence and maybe even incompetence. These may be a bit harsh descriptions but these are somewhat appropriate if I picture myself.

So I'm typing this while imagining somebody is pulling on my back and shoulders back and up.

I also feel my preference of putting all my weight onto my right side as well as how I have a more stable stance when dealing with right side resistance during exercise or any kind of movement (carries, jump, reach) which doesn't really feel natural to me, now that I've gained a little awareness.
I definitely need to do exercises that will encourage my left side to catch up and the same time keeping my right side from declining to compensate - but to continually progress while I work on my left side more.

Personal space is such an important aspect of pragmatic language and when interacting with other people. It signifies not just a defensive lining but also a measure of self-awareness. Being aware of your personal space helps you to increase your focus on your own movement and expressions - which in turn influence our communication with people we interact with.

Keep on planning and going,

Tony



No comments:

Post a Comment